Chilli with Beans (with white rice or avocado)
Recipe type: Main
- 2 tablespoons Colonna Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper (red or yellow if you prefer different pepper) chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Spice Farms chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon Spice Farms ground cumin (optional)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can Colonna Red Kidney Beans, rinsed
- sliced avocado, for serving or 1 bag of instant white rice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- In a blender, puree 1 can of tomatoes. Add the tomato sauce, ½ cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with the avocado or on top of white rice